Statement of Curriculum Intent
At The Heath School, our intent is to provide a broad and balanced curriculum with reading at its heart, where academic knowledge and skills are built upon to maximise progress both personally and academically to facilitate future success.
At The Heath, we aim:
- to develop students who have the motivation, skills and qualifications necessary to thrive in the 21st century and are conscious of the challenges the world faces today.
- to provide excellent teaching that is challenging, engaging, relevant and personal.
- to create a warm and welcoming environment, where opinions can be aired and challenged in a supportive manner.
- to celebrate achievement and positive contributions towards making the world a better place.
Information about individuals subjects within our curriculum can be accessed using the links to the right. Should you wish to obtain further information, please contact Mr R Talbot (Senior Lead for Curriculum) at the school.
As part of our curriculum, we comply with the duties in the Equality Act 2010 and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 and are committed to making the curriculum accessible for those with disabilities or special educational needs.
Key Stage 3 Curriculum
At The Heath, we run a three-year key stage 3, with a strong focus on developing student knowledge.
Years 7/8/9 – Number of Periods per Fortnight:
- English – 7/8/7 periods
- Maths – 8/7/8 periods
- Science – 7 periods
- Physical Education – 4 periods
- Modern Foreign Languages – 3 periods
- Design Technology – 4 periods
- Computer Science – 2 periods
- History – 3 periods
- Geography – 3 periods
- Religious Studies – 2 periods
- Drama – 2 periods
- Music – 2 period
- Art – 2 periods
- Dance – 1 period
- PSHE is delivered through a rolling program throughout the year.
Our students make their option choices during Y9. Throughout the year, a full programme of careers support allows students to make informed choices about the subjects they wish to study at key stage 4. This involves one to one interviews with our careers advisor, advice from subject leaders and senior staff, assemblies and our Options Evening, where parents are welcomed into the school to explore and discuss the subjects available.
We strongly encourage all students who have the ability to be successful to follow the English Baccalaureate, a suite of qualifications encompassing English, maths, science, a modern foreign language and either history or geography.
Key Stage 4 Curriculum
We run an extensive suite of subjects at key stage 4, including both GCSEs and vocational BTECs.
English, Maths and Science are all compulsory subjects.
All aspects of RE, Citizenship, Careers and sex education will be delivered through the PSHE programme and our Learn for Life days.
Number of Periods per Fortnight:
Year 10 and Year 11
- English – 9 Periods
- Maths – 9 Periods
- Science – 8 Periods
- Option 1 – 5 Periods
- Option 2 – 5 Periods
- Option 3 – 5 Periods
- Option 4 – 5 periods
- PE (non-GCSE) – 4 periods
Year 11 (2022-23)
- English – 9 periods
- Maths – 9 periods
- Science – 9 periods
- RS – 4 periods
- Options 1 – 5 periods
- Option 2 – 5 periods
- Option 3 – 5 periods
- PE (non-GCSE) – 4 periods