School Direct at Secondary
- 2:2 degree, or above, in a subject specialism relevant to the School Direct programme that you are applying for.
- A third class degree is now accepted in Computer Science, Maths and Physics (providing candidates have a B grade or above at A level).
- GCSE English and Mathematics (or equivalent) at Grade C or above.
- It is a national requirement that applicants successfully complete the Professional Skills Test in English and Mathematics. The skills tests must be completed within six weeks of a provisional offer being made.
- A minimum of 10 days School Experience (this may be gained after application)
(Salaried entry requirements necessitate approximately three years industry/work experience.
This may be in any area of work it doesn’t have to be within the education sector.)
How can I gain School Experience?
For help on gaining school experience within our 25 school consortium (The Heath Teaching School Alliance) you can register to do so via the School Experience Programme. Alternatively you can contact our School Direct assistant Jeni Dooley on 01928 576 664 option 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses are available at no cost for those wishing to teach Languages, Chemistry, Physics and Computing should your degree not have the required 50% content required.
You must be able to meet the following criteria:
- An awareness of the way in which your subject can influence the whole school curriculum.
- Strong ICT skills and interest in using ICT as a learning tool for creative development.
- An awareness and knowledge of the issues surrounding the safeguarding of children.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- A commitment to helping young people to achieve their full potential.
- An enthusiasm for teaching and an interest in learning strategies.
- Sound communication and organisational skills.
- The ability to form good relationships with staff and students.
- A commitment to high standards in personal work.
- A commitment to continued professional development.
- A willingness to develop reflective practice and engage constructively with feedback.
- A willingness to support and promote the ethos and standards of the school.
- The ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Smart professional appearance.