We have always been aware that a significant number of families do not claim for their Free School Meal entitlement. However, due to recent changes in government Free School Meal numbers will significantly affect our overall budget. We will receive additional funds for each and every student who has made a successful application for a free school meal. This will help us provide even more learning opportunities in addition to what we already deliver for your child. Most importantly the latest government spending decision for schools is designed to increase the money available to us and is totally linked to the pupil premium. The pupil premium that the government has announced will be based on the number of students with free school meals – the more a school has the more money they get. The amount is currently £600 per child.
I appreciate that some parents do not claim Free School Meals as they feel they can “cope” without, and/or that their child will be singled out by other students. We can assure you that this will not be the case. Almost 25% of our students are already enjoying the benefit of a Free School Meal. Our meals are of extremely high quality, prepared daily by our fully qualified chef and meet all government guideline for nutrition. We are currently researching a cashless catering system which means that all students will have an “allowance card” irrespective of Free School Meal eligibility.
Children can receive a Free School Meal if their parents receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16, 190
- Working Tax Credit “run on” – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Please make a claim and use your entitlement – it is a pity to waste it.
Should you require any further help please contact Trish on our reception team.